Earlier this year my adrenal glands were fatigued and my immune system was shot. My chiropractor was very worried and I took a urine analysis and it came back extremely toxic and very acidic. I needed to make some changes and detox my body. While my diet mainly consisted of whole foods I would still go out to eat and I had stashes of sugary snacks for my midnight cravings. I needed to detox my body, change the contents of my midnight snacks, and provide my body with the ammunition it needed to protect itself. So I’ve been on a road to health and discovery beyond my comfort zone.
So through different research I’ve learned of this magical supplement- Chlorella! Chlorella is a single-cell green algae that is high in protein and essential nutrients. Earlier this year I was introduced to Chlorella through Dr. Schulze’s detox programs. It’s a main ingredient in his Super Foods Plus multi-vitamin. When I researched it a little bit farther I discovered Chlorella’s ability to keep breastmilk free of toxins. Doing a bowel detox at the time, with a nursing baby, I was able to test this out first hand. I did a dose of bowel detox formula and 12 hours later I saw the results in myself as well as in my nursing baby. I had avoided detoxing for year while being pregnant or nursing but after seeing my baby get sick as often as I was I knew that my high levels of toxicity needed to change for the both of us. After that first dose my large order of supplements arrived in the mail and I did the second bowel detox dose while also taking the Chlorella in the Super Foods Plus supplement. Guess what?! I saw the same results in myself as I saw the first time, BUT no changes in my baby! Meaning her stools stayed the same! She wasn’t detoxing with me and she wasn’t getting any extra toxins in my body in the breastmilk! I was so thrilled! I found something I could take while breastfeeding and pregnancy!
So now that I’ve been taking Chlorella on a daily basis to keep my breastmilk clean of toxins and to help heal my body. I suffer from short term memory loss. Some people call it mommy brain. I call it ridiculous! I had a cavity filling when I was a child, a few vaccines as a child, and 5 shots for being Rh- as an adult(mercury content questionable). I have a feeling that I have a build up of mercury in my system that may be effecting my ability to retain information. So in my search for a heavy metal detox I again came across information on Chlorella. Below is an excerpt from Dietrich Klinghardt M.D., Ph.D.
Both C. pyreneidosa (better absorption of toxins, but harder to digest) and C. vulgaris (higher CGF content – see below, easier to digest, less metal-absorbing capability) are available. Chlorella has multiple health-inducing effects:
- Antiviral (especially effective against the cytomegaly virus from the herpes family)
- Toxin binding (mucopolysaccharide membrane)
all known toxic metals, environmental toxins such as dioxin and others
- Repairs and activates the body’s detoxification functions:
Dramatically increases reduced glutathione, Sporopollein is as effective as cholestyramin in binding neurotoxins and more effective in binding toxic metals than any other natural substance found.
Various peptides restore coeruloplasmin and metallothioneine,
- Lipids (12.4 %) alpha-and gamma-linoleic acid help to balance the increased intake of fish oil during our detox program and are necessary for a multitude of functions, including formation of ther peroxisomes.
- Methyl-cobolamine is food for the nervous system, restores damaged neurons and has its own detoxifying effect.
- Chlorella growth factor helps the body detoxify itself in a yet not understood profound way. It appears that over millions of years chlorella has developed specific detoxifying proteins and peptides for every existing toxic metal.
- The porphyrins in chlorophyll have their own strong metal-binding effect. Chlorophyll also activates the PPAR-receptor on the nucleus of the cell which is responsible for the transcription of DNA and coding the formation of the peroxisomes (see fish oil), opening of the cell wall (unknown mechanism) which is necessary for all detox procedures, normalizes insulin resistance and much more. Medical drugs that activate the PPAR receptor (such as pioglitazone) have been effective in the treatment of breast and prostate cancer.
- Super nutrient: 50-60% amino acid content, ideal nutrient for vegetarians, methylcobalamin – the most easily absorbed and utilized form of B12, B6, minerals, chlorophyll, beta carotene etc.
- Immune system strengthening
- Restores bowel flora
- Digestive aid (bulking agent)
- Alkalinizing agent (important for patients with malignancies)
Dosage: start with 1 gram (= 4 tabl) 3-4 times/day. This is the standard maintenance dosage for grown-ups for the 6-24 months of active detox. During the more active phase of the detox (every 2-4 weeks for 1 week), whenever cilantro is given, the dose can be increased to 3 grams 3-4 times per day (1 week on, 2-4 weeks back down to the maintenance dosage). Take 30 minutes before the main meals and at bedtime. This way chlorella is exactly in that portion of the small intestine where the bile squirts into the gut at the beginning of the meal, carrying with it toxic metals and other toxic waste. These are bound by the chlorella cell wall and carried out via the digestive tract. When amalgam fillings are removed, the higher dose should be given for 2 days before and 2-5 days after the procedure (the more fillings are removed, the longer the higher dose should be given). No cilantro should be given around the time of dental work. During this time we do not want to mobilize deeply stored metals in addition to the expected new exposure. If you take Vitamin C during your detox program, take it as far away from Chlorella as possible (best after meals).
Side effects: most side effects reflect the toxic effect of the mobilized metals which are shuttled through the organism. This problem is instantly avoided by significantly increasing the chlorella dosage, not by reducing it, which would worsen the problem (small chlorella doses mobilize more metals than are bound in the gut, large chlorella doses bind more toxins than are mobilized). Some people have problems digesting the cell membrane of chlorella. The enzyme cellulase resolves this problem. Cellulase is available in many health food stores in digestive enzyme products. Taking chlorella together with food also helps in some cases, even though it is less effective that way. C. vulgaris has a thinner cell wall and is better tolerated by people with digestive problems.” –Source
My personal experience has been very positive with Chlorella in the Super Foods Plus supplement and I also have a powder version from my local health food store that I will put in smoothies. I will be looking into purchasing more to be able to do a metal detox in the near future and will share any memory improvement with you in the future!